“Grow up!” Easier said than done. The transition to adulthood can be hard to navigate, but it’s important to remember you are always the driver. Controlling your thoughts is the first step to starting adulthood on the right foot.
I hate to break it to you, but you’re not going to love everyone you meet. The real world impacts everyone differently and that’s out of your control. The best advice anyone can give you is to worry about you and only you.
Negative thoughts can take a huge toll on your mental and physical health. Keep your attitude in check by making these things apart of your daily routine:
- Start with a smile. I know cheesy right? But seriously, it works. Right when you wake up, trade the sighs for a smile. Do something in the morning that satisfies you. Go for a jog, have a cup of coffee in the quiet, or put on your favorite playlist and jam away. Make it a great day or not. The choice is yours.
- Make hobbies a habit. It is so important to make time for your hobbies. Our hobbies are usually activities that we are good at or things that make us happy and feel good about ourselves. Prioritizing your self-esteem is important. After all, happiness begins within.
- Let it go. It’s so easy to get hung up on things that don’t matter or have no significant impact on our life. Step back and ask yourself, “is this worth losing my sense of peace?” Most of the time, the answer will be no. Learn to let go of the things that are out of your control and you will find a refreshing sense of happiness.
- Don’t pack on the pounds. Carrying the weight of other people’s problems doesn’t make your muscles look bigger. It has quite the opposite effect. Show sympathy and feel for someone, but don’t let yourself feel like There’s a difference. When you allow others emotions to impact your own, you’re losing control. It’s never a good idea to let someone else hold the wheel when you’re the driver.
- Put the bad thoughts to bed. A bad day at work or an argument with a loved one can bring about negative thoughts and feelings. When you lay down for a good night’s rest, put those thoughts to rest too. Remind yourself of all the great things in your life. Think about the good things that have happened to you or reflect on a positive that occurred that day. Go to a place far away from negativity. Remember tomorrow is a new day.
Journey Home East
Journey Home East is a program for young women ages 16-21. The program offers young women the opportunity to find their fit and seek a smooth transition to adulthood. Journey Home East helps students build relationships, practice healthy eating and exercise habits, and contribute to the workforce by helping with job/internship search. Students gain a sense of self-renewal and independence that sets them up for finding success in adulthood. Let us help your family today!
Contact us @ 855-290-9684